thePIANIST
Sunday, 10 August 2008

National Day

I skipped the National Day Parade in the evening. I know I probably ain't the most patriotic of citizens here in my homeland, but joining me was a full theatre of people watching The Mummy 3 at Cine at 5.10pm. Not to mention the previous sold-out session of 4.20pm, the subsequent screening at 6.10pm and also The Dark Knight at similar timings.

So what now, watching the NDP makes you a patriot? Or does wearing red on 9 August each year define patriotism? Well, at least I did my part and wore a red t-shirt - a colour I probably don only once a year.

I'm a true blue Singaporean, brought up in the Singapore education system, working my way through screening [for gifted programme] in pri3, streaming in pri4, PSLE in pri6, choosing my subject combination in sec2, tackling O levels in sec4, promos in J1, A levels in J2, serving my national service currently, and moving on to NUS thereafter. I possess the spirit of kiasu-ism and kiasi-ism, and Singlish comes naturally to me. Of course, I know my national anthem's in Malay and the title is Majulah Singapura [onward Singapore], not Mari Kita as what popular myths would testity. I can recite the Singapore pledge in both English and Chinese, sing the popular national day songs like Home, Stand Up For Singapore, Singapore Town, Count On Me Singapore, Where I Belong, 相信我吧新加坡, Dondang, Munaeru Vaaliba.. And I know what the colours, crescent and stars on my national flag stand for.

I'm sure in the future I'll grow up to be what people envisage as a good citizen - file my taxes faithfully, not break the law, fulfil my voting responsibility, contribute to the economy, get married, settle down and have kids..

So having watched the NDP for 19 years of my life and just skipping it for once makes me unpatriotic? Well, let's just say at least I know who my Minister Mentor, Senior Minister, Prime Minister, President, Speaker of Parliament, GRC MPs, opposition parties and politicians are. Maybe I could do with remembering the rest of the cabinet minsters but my point is, who says the young are non-chalent towards politics?

Patriotism is not merely some kind of knowledge. Even a tourist would do better at regurgitating the history of Singapura and the history of her tourist attractions/landmarks than me. Patriotism is more of actions than of words. I could tell you the history of China, the KMT and the CCP, but that wouldnt make me a patriot to China. I guess the big P-word comes in when you are upholding the values your country subscribe to - racial and religious harmony, democracy, clean and green city..

Indeed, I could do more than to stuff my head with knowledge like RADM (NS) Teo Chee Hean is our Defence Minister and BG (NS) George Yeo is our Foreign Minister, Mr Shanmugam is our Law Minister and Mr Wong Kan Seng our Minister of Home Affairs.

I guess I would be doing my part for my country in one simple act - refrain from littering.

And I suppose as Christians, we could do our part in praying for the country and also giving thanks for the country.



02:16; The Pianist'

thePIANIST;
~ice dragon~
edmund
twenty one
phpps tchs hci nus
bmt-b sispec-g eti-ep
npcc choir
piano

theLOVE;
violin
saxaphone
jazz
spiritual revival.renewal
books
lit
friends
love

theWISH;
personalised room
keyboard
games
books
love
guitar lesson
jazz piano lesson

theCHATTERBOX;




theESCAPES;

theHISTORY;