thePIANIST
Monday, 2 March 2009

and it's cute guys and girls

Nature has ingrained in us the craving for company, the desire for interaction. That's why we naturally gravitate towards hanging out with those who matter much, subsequently finding for ourselves a lifelong partner. And even such human company aside, we have got other forms of companionship especially evident when travelling from place to place - storybooks for the imaginative soul, TYS for the classic Singaporean mugger, iPod for the E-savvy young chaps, or even the radio for old-school people like me. Interestingly, time seems to pass faster (or MRT/bus seems to travel faster) when we are occupied somehow. Indeed, one may appreciate that sense of solitude once in a while, but when you're just headed towards your destination, the waiting time can be pretty frustrating particularly when you don't have your trusty book/TYS/iPod/radio at your disposal. Then we start to find ourselves looking for some distraction - attempt to sleep, message or call a friend, go through that MRT map which you can already memorise by now, stare at the Aberdeen investment tips advertisement as though you've never seen it before, try to be convinced by the Navy or DXO recruitment drive, wonder why you never made it big at sports when you are bombarded by the many LPGA victories by various golfers, looking at the one seated on the priority seat and wonder if the person will give up the seat when required to, looking out of the train when the doors are going to close and wonder if the guy running up the escalator is going to make it... The list really goes on forever isn't it?


And then of course, there's this favourite pastime that we all are guilty of but will never admit it. Okay, maybe favourite pastime is an incorrect description. How about, natural reaction which helps to pass time?


Oh come on, think about it. Think hard. You probably are guilty of it the moment you step into the train carriage, probably doing it too when you are looking around when plugged in to an iPod, probably doing it too when you take a brief rest from your book and decide to glance around to rest your eyes a bit. Yes, yes, you're getting it. It's that looking around that we are all guilty of. Nope, I'm not saying it's wrong or anything. It's a natural reaction remember?


Humans are visual creatures, and that's why first impressions matter that much. And precisely because of that, when we look around, we usually notice two kinds of people. Those who are good-looking and/or dress well, as well as those who are not particularly gifted in looks and/or their dressing. Of course, as humans, we tend to be judgemental here and wonder how someone could end up in such a fashion disaster and for this second group of people, they catch our eyes readily but we usually do not focus on them for long. And then we go on to those who are fortunately blessed and endowed with good looks. These people catch our eyes because of their outstanding quality, because they are pleasant to our eyes. And then we realise we keep going back for a second glance, a third glimpse, a fourth look... And it's because they not only manage to catch our attention, they also manage to stir a chord in our heart. No, I'm not talking about love at first sight, nor am I perverse in the mind. But seriously, when you see a cute guy or a cute girl, you do feel better isn't it? It gives some form of emotional hormonal rush, some form of psychological wellness, and you can't really explain that pleasant feeling you get isn't it?


Oh come on, as much as you would love to deny it, you can't help but admit that cute guys and cute girls do catch your attention isn't it? It's like some form of.. visual therapy that helps lift your spirits a little on an otherwise dreary work-day. Truth be told, I'm guilty of such a healthy, hassle-free and cost-free therapy too. Ahh I see some people preparing to flag my blog just because of this post. Allow me to explain my usage of the word 'healthy'. When I talk about visual therapy, I really do mean visual. As in, it's just in the eyes. The problem comes in when people start having warped ideas and thoughts and fantasies about what they've just seen - most of which would be too explicit for me to mention here, but I'm sure I made my point clear enough. That's why I've been shying away from open discussions of random strangers (or even acquintances and friends) especially when in an all-guys group or in the army context. Unless I'm sure the discussion would not veer towards going into details of particular aspects of the physical traits, or to feed the ever-hungry temptation of lust and immoral fantasy, I would choose to not engage in such discussions. So what do I do after engaging in my own visual therapy? I find that I may be smiling to myself for no apparent reason, I find that my mood definitely gets better, I feel that suddenly the world isn't as bad as it seems, and then I'll thank God for such wonderfully-created beings in this world. Undoubtedly, I won't make myself out to be a saint - so sometimes you may have some slightly unhealthy thoughts and probably you'll find yourself in some degree of envy or even jealousy. Granted, but I'll choose to step out of such thoughts and feelings and then be thankful for everything I have.


I'm not sure if I presented this issue in a manner appropriate or digestable for all, nor can I be certain that I discussed it giving an impression I had wanted to protray. But at the very least, I'm sure that most, if not all, do get the crux of this post.


Cute guys and girls do make the day pass more easily..



22:59; The Pianist'

thePIANIST;
~ice dragon~
edmund
twenty one
phpps tchs hci nus
bmt-b sispec-g eti-ep
npcc choir
piano

theLOVE;
violin
saxaphone
jazz
spiritual revival.renewal
books
lit
friends
love

theWISH;
personalised room
keyboard
games
books
love
guitar lesson
jazz piano lesson

theCHATTERBOX;




theESCAPES;

theHISTORY;