thePIANIST
Saturday, 4 April 2009

Cause-and-effect..

Okay, I'm not setting out to offend people, nor am I trying to be a snob. But seriously, this post just totally struck my mind the other day when walking home. Thank God for that. Been trying to figure out how to phrase all these and telling people 'cos it's really been on my mind for the longest of time...


"Oh, 'cos it's minhai mah, and he don't need to study also can score for his exams, that's why he can spend so much time in church lor."


Yes, I'll admit it. I don't mug consistently, nor revise my work conscientiously even though it's been my New Year resolution for n number of years. I fall asleep during class, slept through most of my Year 1 lectures, but somehow, miraculously I manage to pass my exams. Hey, wait a moment, wait a moment.. Miraculously? Hell no!


I try to clear my tutorials as best as I can, as soon as they come so that they don't pile up, and I sure slog my guts out for major examinations. If you want, I'll gladly show you the crazy A levels revision schedule I planned for myself starting July06, building up to the big A's in November. And by slogging my guts out, I mean almost no entertainment/leisure, almost no social life; it's just wake up, study, eat, sleep, study, eat, sleep... Yes, even barely used the computer.


Of course, everyone's different and what works for me need not necessarily work for others. But my point is, the cause-and-effect of the quote above is wrong! Instead of thinking that it's because I can do well in my studies FIRST, THEN I can spend time in church work, has it ever struck you that it's precisely I still do what I do in church FIRST, THEN I do my best to take care of my studies, and where I can't control, I leave it to God. Thankfully, God decides to bless me with good grades.


Oh come on, what's considered GOOD-ENOUGH grades BEFORE you put in your heart and soul into church? For some, it may be as simple as just passing all their subjects; for some, it may be getting at least a B for all their exams; for some, it may be to get A's for their exams; for some, it may to get a GPA of more than 3.5; for some, it may be to get into uni; for some, it may be to get into a good course or their desired course in uni; for some, it may be to graduate with 1st class honours; for some, it may be getting that coveted scholarship...
Come on, face facts: we're only human and we are greedy by nature - we want to get better and better, so when can we really call ourselves satiated? Still, we'll always choose to compare ourselves with those who are better off than us, and then grumble and worry that God ain't working things out for us.


I had my fair share of setbacks and bombshells too. Still, I try my best to put in my best for God, and I know that as long as I do my best, God will do the rest. So that's why be it getting 6 points for O's, 4 A's for A's, failing my AMaths in sec3, flunking my maths for promos, not getting into chem O, failing my DipABRSM in 2006, failing my English compo in sec sch, I still want to just shout it out: I've done my best, God has done the rest, and I'll accept whatever He has chosen to give me!


And so, it's time to get the priorities right, to set things back on track. What's the correct cause-and-effect, and what's the correct prioritisation in your life?



23:12; The Pianist'

thePIANIST;
~ice dragon~
edmund
twenty one
phpps tchs hci nus
bmt-b sispec-g eti-ep
npcc choir
piano

theLOVE;
violin
saxaphone
jazz
spiritual revival.renewal
books
lit
friends
love

theWISH;
personalised room
keyboard
games
books
love
guitar lesson
jazz piano lesson

theCHATTERBOX;




theESCAPES;

theHISTORY;