thePIANIST
Tuesday, 29 December 2009

traffic lights in a run

Life is like a run. There's uphill, there's downslope, there'll be times you feel like running fast, there'll be times you have to slow down the pace, then sometimes (if you didn't plan properly) you might run into a dead end and have to make a detour, and sometimes you give up and walk. And in urbanised Singapore, there's always traffic lights along the running route.


Sometimes you really feel like giving up, but you see a traffic straight ahead, so it motivates you to chiong, knowing that you can possibly rest there till the pedestrian light goes green.
Sometimes life decides to play a joke on you - when you chiong your way to the traffic light, the pedestrian signal turns from red to green, and so you press on without resting.
Sometimes even though the pedestrian signal is red, but you see that there is not much traffic flow, you decide to just sprint across the road without resting.


And then one day you realise that you thrive on traffic lights such that you are running every leg of the race just for the traffic light. It seems to have become the only motivation to continue running the race. Well, the over-dependence may be a signal that something's not quite right. After all, you didn't embark on the race just for the traffic lights right?


Ohwells, we all have our own form of traffic lights and somehow, I've been running the past few months without a good relief at the red pedestrian light. There was this time I was approaching the pedestrian crossing when it was still red, but it decided to play a joke on me by turning to green just as I reached it. It was pretty crumbling, to say the least, but at times like this, that's where your mental strength is put to the test. I'm not too sure how I want to evaluate that leg of the race. It sure wasn't spectacular, but somehow I survived.


Maybe that's why I've become more sceptical when I see an upcoming traffic light. While there's a saying 'Aim for the moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars.', it's also true that the higher you raise your hopes up, the harder you'll fall. Some say it's a matter of optimism versus pessimism; I'd rather choose to see it as a matter of idealism against pragmatism.


Disillusioned? Jaded? Let's just say such words are a lil' too strong. Pragmatic's the word. As I like to say - Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. That way, you'll be in a better condition to take things in your stride. So with that, I'll prepare myself mentally for the worst, but I'll definitely be praying and hoping that the traffic light will stay red when I reach it.



00:32; The Pianist'

thePIANIST;
~ice dragon~
edmund
twenty one
phpps tchs hci nus
bmt-b sispec-g eti-ep
npcc choir
piano

theLOVE;
violin
saxaphone
jazz
spiritual revival.renewal
books
lit
friends
love

theWISH;
personalised room
keyboard
games
books
love
guitar lesson
jazz piano lesson

theCHATTERBOX;




theESCAPES;

theHISTORY;