thePIANIST
Friday, 29 January 2010

'the best things in life come free'

Choir ended on time yesterday, but decided to lag around and chat a bit. It was pretty nice to be able to have a chat with jialoon and sorongon. Probably the longest chat I've had with them thus far. Talking about languages and countries, and then moving on to talking about the moon and the sky. Somehow, the simplicity of the conversation just made it even more enjoyable. Looking at the moon and the halo of light around it, jialoon remarked that often, the best things in life are free.


Instinctively I agreed. It's always about the smallest and most simplest of things, isn't it? A simple short stroll in the campus at night with a nice breeze with awesome company and looking at the sky together. There was something serene and zen about it that I can't put a finger to. I didn't mind leaving school only at 11pm.


And then I started thinking about the simple and free things in life that's always awesome. And I figured, that as we humans get more technologically advanced, we're plugged in or wired up almost every second. Plug in to the mp3/iPod when we are travelling, wire up to the internet when we are in school, build connections with our handphones. That's why I will appreciate it when my handphone runs out of battery when I'm outside. Well, after getting over the initial panic of being uncontactable and lacking a means of communication, I find myself no longer needing to worry if I missed out an sms from someone - I'm out of the house, I'm uncontactable, and now I can do anything and go anywhere I want without disturbance. Yes of course I know this cuts both way but I think I've made my point.


Going back to the issue of free things in life, inevitably the play of mankind VS nature comes to mind. We always celebrate the human spirit when we push ourselves to surpass our past achievements and raise the bar/standards. Indeed, when Burj Khalifa in Dubai, UAE was unveiled on 4th January this year, I was amazed by the advancements of mankind that has allowed us to build a building standing at 828m. But I recall being at Taipei 101 last year (which held the title of the tallest building in the year prior to Burj Khalifa's completion), and as much as I was wow-ed by sheer presence of the building, there seems to be something lacking. Maybe it's because when we are in that state of awe, we are not so much awestruck by the sheer height, but rather, people are more interested in the view of the surroundings and unmistakenly, the sunset.


There's something so simple about sunset that makes it so magical. It's free, and you can see it everyday, yet people can never seem to have enough of it. The warmth of the sunset, the magnificent view that blankets upon the land, the stillness of the whole event - it's just naturally breath-taking that you stay captivated, not wanting to miss any moment of it.


I would think it great to have the company of a few friends to share the breath-taking moment - to do something together that's simple yet amazing;
or be in the company of that special someone while gazing at the sun dipping beneath that horizon - holding hands as if it's a sign of promise and commitment which the sun witnesses, to be in the arms of each other, 2 hearts beating as one, so as to minimise the disturbance;
or to simply spend the view in solitude - pensive, self-reflexive, indulging in the beauty of nature.


Had wanted to go on more about the grandeur of nature and other issues, but I think it's somehow apt to put a stop here, for now. There's something inexplicably breath-taking.



21:45; The Pianist'

thePIANIST;
~ice dragon~
edmund
twenty one
phpps tchs hci nus
bmt-b sispec-g eti-ep
npcc choir
piano

theLOVE;
violin
saxaphone
jazz
spiritual revival.renewal
books
lit
friends
love

theWISH;
personalised room
keyboard
games
books
love
guitar lesson
jazz piano lesson

theCHATTERBOX;




theESCAPES;

theHISTORY;