Death - the one thing that we all are (secretly) morbidly fascinated with. It's the only certainty we have in this ever-changing environment. Yet, ever so often, we choose not to think about the inevitable.
Funerals - the thing that we say is for the dead. It's the time when the living gather to say nice things and think nice thoughts about the dead. Yet, more often than not, it actually is for the living.
Love - that incomprehensible mystery that we all like to chase after. It's that
Yet, we tend to love broadly instead of deeply.
When I was younger, I always wanted to attend my own funeral - to hear what people would say of me. I often wondered what it is that they have to wait until I'm dead instead of telling me directly when I'm alive.
When I grew up, I then wanted to die before my loved ones - to avoid going through the pain of losing them. I often thought that I would rather die in their arms than having them die in mine.
Now, I think of who I hope would be delivering the eulogy at my own funeral - to figure out who really are closely cherished and loved. These are the ones I want to love deeply, so that there will be no regrets if I ever have to give their eulogies.
Labels: exposition, friends, growing up, love, prose, writings